Saturday, March 10, 2012

My Favorite Thing to Grow...

 I would have to say my favorite thing to grow is a rose. Yes, they can be more challenging and require 'pampering' and are by no means 'maintenance free' but for me, they give you more bang for your buck so to speak. The harder your work the prettier they are.

 It was pregnant during the Spring and Summer of '09 with my beautiful baby girl Katelynn. With the heat and all the joys of being pregnant I wasn't able to keep up with tending to my rose garden of about 25 roses I had just put in the year before. Between hormones, limited mobility and Black Spot, I finally gave up and mowed the whole mess down.

 During the 2010 growing season Katelynn was just few months old and I couldn't seem to do anything that didn't revolve around her. She is my world and I soak up every moment I can get with her- then and now. I wasn't able to do much with the yard last year so I am making up for it this year. Best part, she is right there beside me. She loves kicking the dirt that I dig, running through the arbor Daddy built me and dragging around any yard tool she can get her hands on.

 I started my new rose garden last week. It's a 50 foot diameter bed with the arbor in the middle. I chose to put the climbing rose bush 'America' on the arbor due to it's unusual desire to take off quick and prolific blooms. 'America' is a beautiful salmon colored rose with a high petal count. It also does well in dry areas!

 I also planted Arizona, Garden Party, Iceberg, Sunburst and a few others I have already forgotten the names to....Oops!

 I will post pictures as soon as they start blooming!

No comments:

Post a Comment